Call for Papers for an Edited Book: African Diaspora in Türkiye
BACKGROUND AND PROJECT FRAMEWORK
Africa Foundation aims to support and enhance African studies research and academic interest in Türkiye. Along with a set of diﬀerent academic and capacity-building activities, Africa Foundation is happy to initiate this Book project aiming to publish the ﬁrst collection of academic work related to the African Diaspora in Türkiye.
This project follows an interdisciplinary methodology and aims to include historical, social, cultural, economic, and political dimensions related to the African Diaspora in Türkiye. We aim through this work to understand: Do we have an African Diaspora in Türkiye? How to deﬁne African Diaspora in Türkiye? How and why did African Diaspora come into existence Türkiye? What are the historical and political contexts of the movement towards Türkiye? What were the favorable conditions supporting having an African Diaspora in Türkiye? What are the barriers and challenges faced by African Diaspora in Türkiye?…
The aim of this edited collection is to investigate the African Diaspora as a component of the Turkish society and in the frame of this work, we aim to cover diﬀerent dimensions of the question related to the African diaspora in Türkiye from an interdisciplinary perspective. Each article will build on speciﬁc methodological and theoretical framework; hence, every part of the book will be interconnected and provide a piece of the general picture.
Themes could include but are not limited to:
- Historical Study of the African Diaspora in Türkiye
- Political and Foreign Policy Contexts
- African Diaspora in Türkiye: Identity, Memory, and Belonging
- Representation of the African Diaspora in the Turkish Media
- Representation of Africans in Turkish School Textbooks
- The Social and Cultural Integration of African Diaspora in Türkiye
- Economic Aspects of African Diaspora
- Challenges Faced by African Diaspora in Türkiye
In order to facilitate the process, this tentative content was prepared. Aﬅer ﬁnalizing the call for book chapters and based on the collected proposals, the content will be updated accordingly and will be shared with the selected authors.
- Introduction to the African Diaspora in Türkiye
- Historical Background of the African Diaspora in Türkiye
- Mapping African Diaspora in Türkiye
- The Role of the Turkish Politics and Foreign Policy and African Diaspora in Türkiye
- The African-Turkish Economic Relation and the Role of the African Diaspora Entrepreneurship
- African Students in Türkiye and the Scholarship Politics (The Turkish Government Scholarship
Program as a Tool of Soﬅ Power)
- Diaspora Diplomacy: The Politics of Hosting Africans in Türkiye
- The Social Acceptance of Africans in Türkiye: The Social Sympathy and the Integration Process
- Regional Analysis of the African Diaspora in Türkiye
- Why do Africans Come to Türkiye?
- North-African Diaspora in Türkiye and the Arab Spring
- West-African Diaspora in Türkiye + Sport Politics
- Horn of Africa Crises and the Flew to Türkiye
- African Diaspora Living in Türkiye
- African Diaspora and the Perception of the Host Community
- Public Policies and the Access to the Public Services for African Diaspora
- The Perception of North African Diaspora Aﬅer the Refugee Crises in Türkiye
- Barriers of the Black Integration in Türkiye
- The Acculturation of Africans in Türkiye (Diﬀerent case studies are possible: student groups,
interracial marriages, living costumes, etc.)
Chapters will include between 6,000 and 9,000 words (references included). The following structure is suggested, though authors should feel free to make adjustments that reﬂect their expertise: (1) Abstract and Keywords, (2) Introduction, (3) Problem statement and literature review, (4) Methodology or research design, (5) Findings, analysis, or results with speciﬁc chapters (6)
Discussion, limitations, future research, and conclusion, (7) References. Chapters will ﬁrst be reviewed by volume editors, then by anonymous reviewers; authors of accepted chapters commit to
reviewing anonymously and collegially up to two chapters written by diﬀerent authors.
Please submit a one-page proposal along with a brief bio no later than 15 June 2022. If you select one of the proposed topics, please include the suggested methodology of work and the theoretical frameworks as well as the case study within the abstract.
15 June 2022
18 September 2022
Tentative Publication Date
12 December 2022
CONTACT AND INFORMATION
Please don’t hesitate to contact our team for further information or inquiries.
Dr. Mehmet Köse
mehmet.kose@afrikavakﬁ.org, +90 532 684 29 50
Dr. Asma Nairi
asmanairiozen@afrikavakﬁ.org, +90 546 443 36 33
Hatice Kübra Karatepe
email@example.com, +90 553 971 73 53